July 18th, 2018
The secret to keeping your teeth for life involves more than one secret. The first is that there is no secret; and in fact, there really is no difficulty involved. Follow this simple four-step process – brush, floss, rinse, and visit our Elyria office regularly – and you will have healthy teeth for life!
You should brush your teeth twice a day, preferably once in the morning and once at night. Three times a day will not hurt. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and light pressure; you do not want to scrub away your gums or tooth enamel.
Brush for a minimum of two minutes, and carefully clean all tooth surfaces. Three minutes is better. Use quality toothpaste; Dr. Deak and our staff can recommend the best type for your needs. Keep your toothbrush clean and replace it about every three months.
Make flossing part of your daily routine, at least once a day. Flossing is important for more than just removing food particles between your teeth. The process also helps to remove bacteria that you cannot see. Bacterial build-up turns into plaque, or calculus: a cement-like substance that cannot be removed by brushing alone.
Use floss gently; you do not want to cut your gums. There are many different types of flosses and flossing tools. Dr. Deak and our staff will be happy to help you find the style that works best for you.
Mouthwash does more than freshen your breath. Rinses help kill the bacteria that lead to plaque formation and gum disease. This extra step can go a long way toward having healthy teeth for life.
Keep your appointments
You should have a professional cleaning at Deak Medical Dentistry twice a year. Some patients benefit from more frequent cleanings. Your hygienist will remove any plaque build-up to prevent gingivitis, which left untreated becomes full-blown gum disease. Periodontitis leads to tooth loss.
You also need to see Dr. Deak twice a year for a teeth and mouth exam. We can find problems such as cavities, and treat them before the situation becomes critical. Ask our Elyria team any questions you have; together we can make your teeth last for life.
July 11th, 2018
Does the thought of getting a dental implant put knots in your stomach? There are many people who don't enjoy getting dental work done and there is a myriad of reasons why. For whatever reason you aren't at your best when you arrive at our Elyria office, we'd like to offer some tips that can help put you at ease for your implant procedure.
For lengthy visits like an implant procedure, sedation dentistry may be an option for you. With sedation dentistry you are given sedation medication, usually orally with a pill or intravenously, which allows you to drift through the entire procedure without any memory of it afterward. If you decide on oral sedation, typically you take the medication about an hour before your procedure starts.
To avoid any complications, a complete medical background check is made along with a record of any allergies before any sedation is administered. Your vital signs are also monitored throughout the entire procedure.
If you decide sedation is not the right option for you, there are other techniques that you can benefit from. Some of these include:
- Communication: This may seem obvious, but communicating any fears or anxiety you may have about your procedure with us is extremely helpful. Not only does this build a relationship of trust but it allows us to try and alleviate your anxiety as much as we can.
- Herbal teas: Drink some herbal tea (like chamomile or lemon balm) before you visit the office. Many patients find this is a great help in relieving anxiety and putting them sufficiently at ease.
- Relaxing music: Bring a pair of headphones along and listen to your favorite music during treatment (preferably something low-key). Or why not catch up on your reading when you visit us — some patients like to listen to audiobooks too!
- Meditate or practice deep breathing: Meditation and deep breathing are good to practice in general, since they relax both the body and mind. They can be effective in the case of anxiety, too!
July 4th, 2018
Happy Independence Day from Dr. Deak and team! The Fourth of July celebrations in America may have changed a lot over the years, but there is no doubt that we Americans love to celebrate the anniversary of our country's independence! Today we're devoting the Deak Medical Dentistry blog to some fun facts about the Fourth!
- My, how we have grown! This year the United States Census Bureau estimates that our country has 313.9 million residents celebrating the Fourth of July this year, but back in 1776 there were just 2.5 million members of the country.
- Our country loves to show how proud that we are of our independence. Did you know that there are 31 United States places with the word “Liberty” in their names? The state of Iowa actually has four towns with the word Liberty in the name: Libertyville, New Liberty, North Liberty, and West Liberty.
- The United States loves Fourth of July food! It is expected that around 150 million hot dogs are eaten on the Fourth each year. One of the Fourth's most popular sides, potato salad, goes just perfectly with the hotdogs and hamburgers that are standard Fourth of July fare. Some people choose potato chips instead, but we wouldn't have such a plethora of potatoes if not for the prodigious production of the states of Idaho and Washington -- they provide about half of all the potatoes in the United States today!
- Americans love celebrating the Fourth outdoors: About 74 million Americans fire up their BBQ grill every Fourth of July.
- The Chinese contribution: Did you know that Americans have spent more than $211 million on fireworks that were imported from China?
No matter how your family chooses to celebrate the Fourth, stay safe, take precautions, and don't forget to brush after your fabulous Fourth feast!
July 3rd, 2018
Great food, being surrounded by your friends and loved ones, and witnessing the sky become adorned with the most gorgeous of lights. Can it be anything but the Fourth of July? This is one of my favorite holidays and I cannot wait to start celebrating our great nation!
There’s a certain magic to watching the firework show with my kids and their friends; it just makes the holiday extra special. This year I plan on hanging out with family and friends on Lake Erie. We’ll have hot dogs, water balloons, and slip ‘n slide kickball – a recipe for great memories!
Speaking of memories, one year I had a great wiffle ball game going on during a rainstorm and it was absolutely amazing. That is without a doubt one of my favorite Fourth of July moments. I love making memories and making food for the holiday is a great way to do that. I let my cooking skills take center stage when I prepare my signature teriyaki flank steak – yum!
Other than the holiday, I’m also looking forward to spending time with my family at Camp Fitch! However, it wouldn’t be a proper summer season without also giving away some cool items to our patients. Simply by referring five friends and you can get a few take-home bleaching kits and your friends will get one too if they come in for a cleaning and exam!
Whatever your Fourth of July or summer plans are we hope they are fantastic and we can’t wait to hear about them the next time you’re in the office.